Friday, May 25, 2012

Comparison of Finalities

Listening to: Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen



Just finished reading The Enchantress by Michael Scott. What a finale, very very nice. Should have seen it coming but what the hell. A few minutes after contemplating about the events that happened, I couldn't stop but compare it to another finale that also gripped my vessels. I'm talking, of course, of the Deathly Hallows by Rowling. Not the crappy movie. I'm talking novels here.


the bestesssss
 In terms of series, the last book is always the thickest. Obviously, every bit of history needed to piece up the mysteries and cliffhangers on the previous editions are printed here. Now, for the purpose of not spoiling you, I'll only give out bits of my comparisons. Once you read the books, I hope you will agree with me. Here we go...

Although now I like the Flamel series more than Potter books, I can't help but feel doubtful over which story was written better. I can tell you this though: Most people like the latest book they read and tend to be their favorite because it's the freshest they've read. That is NOT the reason why I like the Scott books better. I hope this comparison is enough for you to note that I'm being fair here, and still considering the Potter Series to be very good. Though there is no FAIR in favoritism. Maybe I'm just saying that, both have strengths that I like. Rereading what I just typed, I think I am saying that the Potter series is a few shades better, though I'm so much in awe with the Flamel books.

In Harry Potter 6, the mission was already given to the trio. This gives us a sure-shot of what's coming on the 7th: the destruction of the Horcruxes. Obviously, it's how they find and destroy them that readers will want to know. Also, an interesting addition is the small light over the past of Dumbledore, and of course, Lord Voldemort. I should also add the histories of the figures Snape and the Potters. What makes me like with the style of Rowling is that there is such a finality to her series that makes me at peace with myself: stuggle, defeat of struggle, and peace. Though like any silent fanatic,  I would have loved it if she continued book 8... to 100 :)

I love love love the Enchantress. I was drooling with every page I read. When I was on the 300th-something page however, I was becoming concerned if Scott would be able to fill in the histories and questions that were in my head. In the end, I was awestruck by the events that happened in the adventure, but MAAAAAAANY things were left unwritten. The last book is only a little over 500 hundred pages (The Hallows, over 700 I think). The prophecy was resolved, but I was really interested to know more of the history of the races before the Elders. Not much Great Elders was there, the no more Archon characters (only 2 in the whole series), absolutely NOTHING about the Ancients, and the Earthlords? well... read the book. There are some characters which, I think, should have been more explained. What about the Witch of Endor? Aten? Chronos especially! Josh wasn't taught Earth Magic, well not TOTALLY ~ (all I'm gonna tell you, SWEAR!)

Despite this, I still like the Flamel Series better, because as I said on my previous post, Scott tried to combine all the legends together. It's overwhelming, but in a good way. The characters are so vast, I think, that a few more pages, or even books are needed. I'll leave you hanging now ~



-----------------------------------

-_-v


No comments:

Post a Comment